2020 Suspension of Summer Programs

We are sad to announce that, due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, we have decided to suspend all 2020 summer programs. This means we will not be able to operate 1st Term programs. We remain hopeful that conditions will change and we will be able to lift the suspension and operate 2nd Term.

A Message from Clay

We hope this message finds you and your families healthy and safe during these difficult times. You are always in our thoughts as we all manage the ongoing stress and uncertainty of the past few months.

It is primarily this uncertainty that leads us to announce, today, that we are suspending our normal camp operations. This means that we won’t be operating the first half of the summer - 1st and 2nd Term Homestead and 1st Term for all other camps. However, we are going to wait another month to make a final decision for the second half of the summer, including the 50th Summer Reunion, to see if conditions change enough for us to make the CSC magic happen.

As always, the health and safety of our campers, staff, and our outside community is our top priority. As we evaluated this, and all other factors that would determine if we could effectively provide the CSC experience within the parameters required by a responsible virus response, there were just too many unknowns and variables at this point to consider 1st Term operation.

We know this is as challenging for you as it is for us, and with CSC community input, we explored all of our options.

  • We consulted with health care providers and heard a general consensus that current pandemic conditions and testing capabilities are not favorable to bringing our summer community together.
  • We spoke with state and local authorities who, with everything they have to manage, have not yet been able to write opening guidelines for summer camps.
  • We constantly communicated internally and with fellow camp professionals and associations to determine that the necessary logistical adjustments that we would currently need to make aren’t conducive to reaching our goals.

Through all of this, we search for the best ways that we can serve you. Because we have heard from our community that they would like us to wait and because that remains possible, we will continue to explore the possibilities for 2nd Term with the creativity and adaptability with which we always develop our programming.

Over the next month, we’ll be looking for improvements in testing, clear guidance from our health officials, continued interest from our staff and campers, and positive trends in pandemic data. We will also continue to develop logistics and safety plans appropriate to this pandemic situation. We remain hopeful that options exist for 2nd Term, and we will let you know what our plan is on or before June 10th.

This was a hard decision for our year-round team and the Colvig family. It was an easy decision when it comes to protecting our camp families and our community in general. We will remain connected to our community through our Friday Rendez-Zooms and will find other ways over the summer to keep our community together. As we explore our options for the rest of our summer, we will continue to approach our decisions with the utmost Care, with the Thoughtfulness that they deserve, and with a deep sense of our Responsibilities to our campers, our staff, and our wider community.

With much love from the Red Creek Valley

Clay Colvig and the CSC crew